Carbon Monoxide: What it is and why it’s so dangerous!
Coming into winter, we are starting to make use of our little heaters to keep us warm on those chilly evenings & icy mornings. It seems like the perfect time to educate ourselves about Carbon Monoxide: What it is, why it’s so dangerous and what you can do to keep you and your family safe.
What is Carbon Monoxide (CO)
Carbon Monoxide (CO) is an odourless, colourless, poisonous gas formed by incomplete combustion of carbon.
Why is Carbon Monoxide so dangerous?
Carbon monoxide is harmful as it displaces oxygen in the blood & deprives the heart, brain and other vital organs of oxygen. Carbon monoxide can effect you in minutes without any symptoms, causing you to loose consciousness and suffocate.
Where is Carbon Monoxide produced?
- Water heaters
- Fire places
- Clothes dryers
- Gas refrigerators
- Gas heaters
- Any gas related appliances
What can you do to prevent Carbon Monoxide poisoning from occurring?
There are many things you can do to prevent Carbon Monoxide poisoning from occurring, but these are most important!
- Install a Carbon monoxide detector in your home and replace it every five years
- Have heaters, water heaters and any other gas appliances serviced every year.
- Ensure chimneys are cleaned out regularly
- Check the colour of the flame in gas appliances. If it burns orange, we would suggest you call an expert for carbon monoxide testing
This is a task which cannot be ignored! It really is a matter of life and death.
Unfortunately, Gallant are unable to perform carbon monoxide testing, but doesn’t mean we can’t emphasise the importance of it! Everyone should be getting their appliances assessed for carbon monoxide, do not put you or your family in danger.
Here are some people you can call for this testing: