How to save money this Winter.
When winter comes to town, there is nothing more you want to do than keep warm and cosy.
An article from Master Plumbers indicated the following statistics:
According to recent Mozo research, more than 1 in 5 Australians are guilty of committing the top three wasteful behaviours:
- Taking longer showers to warm up;
- Cranking up the heat so they can wear t-shirts at home; and
- Leaving the heating running for hours for pets during the day.
Although these habits are extremely comforting and make those winter days more bearable, perhaps they are costing you more than it is worth…
Long, hot showers are the most common occurrence with 54% admitting to this habit. And it’s totally understandable; No one wants to get out of a hot shower onto the freezing cold tiles in the bathroom!
It was also found that Australians choose to tumble dry their clothes as opposed to hanging them outside on a sunny day, which is costing the nation around 144 million dollars!
No one wants to walk into a cold house at 7 o’clock at night, after a long day at work and a cold commute home; Thats no fun! It can be tempting to leave your heating on all day, so you can walk into a warm slice of heaven at the end of your day. But this habit is costing Aussies 107 million dollars. And keeping your pets warm when you’re not home, is costing the nation 249 million dollars annually!
Are these statistics shocking you as much as it is me?
Need to get your energy usage back on track? See these tips below:
- Set a timer for your shower and stick to it! 4 minutes is the recommended time
- Switch your T-shirt for more layers and turn that heater down!
- Block off any draughts where hot air is escaping
- Close doors to rooms you are not using
- Buy a coat for your pet (cat/dog) and provide them with a warm bed and blankets; they’ll love you for it!
- If you’ve got a nifty heating system, you may be able to set a timer for the heater to kick in a bit before you arrive home, instead of leaving it on all day. And you could do the same in the morning; pop the heater on a bit before you’re due out of bed to make that a bit easier!
- Before buying new appliances, check their energy efficient rating.
- Cover some of your floor with rugs to keep the heat in and put curtains down to keep your home a bit warmer
Enjoy winter even more, knowing you are still keeping warm and even saving money!